small ball, football style  

Posted

how come there aren't any "smarts" or saber-metrics guys for football (ok, if there were, they'd have to be called safer-metrics). It drives me crazy when teams get close to the endzone and then kick the fieldgoal. I don't have the stats, but my gut tells me that it would be beneficial to go for it. obviously, a td is worth 2.333 of a fg. Plus, even if you don't get the td, you have the other team pinned down near their own endzone. again, i'd like to see the stats of how often a team in that position is forced to go 3 and out. I have to think it's pretty high, and if that happens, the original team (worded wrong, but you know what i mean) would get the ball nearly in fg range again.

I need a source of good football stats. I need to see the % of time a team can drive and score off a kickoff (average field position around 30 yard line). This would also clear up my argument against sudden death in overtime. i would also like to see the breakdown of the winning percentage of teams who score the most tds in a game and how that compares to the winning percentage of teams who score the most fgs in a game. Call me crazy, but i feel like the TD is to football what the walks and homeruns are to baseball.

That is all.

This entry was posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 at Saturday, January 10, 2004 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment