I'm like Rosa Parks, except in a bathroom  

Posted

Rosa wasn't out to start a revolution. She was just a tired woman who wanted a seat on the bus. She may not have realized it at the time, but her actions had monumental consequences. My bathroom protest will one day be held in the same esteem.

I know this will come as a shock to all, but I'm not that big into such superficial things like fashion or interial decorating and the like. I don't really care how things look and am not worried about dressing stuff up. However it was brought to my attention that my bathroom looks kind of bare. While I was going to put absolutely no effort into rectifying this problem, I admitted to my mother (when pressed) that i wouldn't be vehemently opposed to allowing a picture to be put up in there.

Fastfoward two weeks and in walks my mom with a really dumb looking framed ____ (I don't know the word. it's not a poster, it's not a picture... it's something). The "thing" apparently has some type of bathroom humor written on it. a top ten list if you will. Well, this is NOT what i had in mind (again though, it wasn't even my mind to begin with. i was indifferent at best). I politely hinted that i didn't think the thing was what i wanted. when that generated a "yeah it is", I said that it would look stupid in the bathroom. "no it won't, it's for the bathroom." when she asked what wall i wanted it on i said "how about the wall in your bathroom at home." 5 minutes later, it was in fact on my wall.

Luckily, nobody has used my bathroom yet, but that day is surely coming. And I know i'm going to get mocked for having something so stupid on my wall. And of course my defense of "it was my mom's idea" will only get me further ridiculed. But, really, what was i to do? Of course i could have put up a bigger fight, perhaps even arguing about it. But what's the point over arguing over something so stupid?

So, instead of getting into a huge fight over something that i don't even care about, I'm going to take a page out of Rosa's book. In a non violent protest, i will refuse to read this top ten list. Do you realize the effort this is going to take? Every day i will be face to face with this monster, but i will not yield. Not one line. I don't care what it says. Maybe it's funny, although probably it is not. Of course I have a morbid curiosity about what's on it, but the line in the sand has to be drawn. I will not back down from this battle.

And the war rages on.

This entry was posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 at Monday, March 08, 2004 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment