Lazy Writing in "Stranger Than Fiction"  

Posted

I wasn't expecting Shakespeare when I watched this movie, but sometimes writers can be so insulting that I feel like they are pulling a joke on me. In STF, the main character starts to fall for a "rebel baker". I guess she's what Hollywood idiots think a "liberal" is....crazy tattoos, scatter brained, refusing to pay taxes, etc. Anyway, the main character asks her when she realized she wanted to be a baker and her answer was "college". That lead to this exchange:

Oh, what kind of college, cullinary?

No, actually, I went to Harvard Law.

Oh, I didn't know, I'm sorry... I

Don't worry, it's alright. Anyway, I barely got into law school, and then...


She then proceeds to tell this "touching" story about how she kept baking for her study groups and everyone loved the cookies and it made her happy to make other people happy, but her grades suffered.

Do you see the problem with this? Nobody would call Havard LAW "college". It's not a college. It's a lawschool. But if she didn't answer "college", he couldn't have confused it with a culinary school.

"when did you know you want to be a baker?"
"oh, in law school"
"hmm, interesting. Go on."

doesn't really have the same ring to it, does it? Plus, it also has to drive home the point that she was smart enough to do anything, but chose to be a baker. That's why the character has to apologize for assuming it was culinary school, as though that's something to be ashamed of. I mean, she wound up a baker! culinary school would be the ideal school to go to if that was your eventual goal.

and now that i think about it, since the original question was "when did you know?" the main character is an idiot for assuming college meant culinary school. If you go to culinary school, you probably ALREADY know that you want to be some type of chef.

Man, that one line of dialog really rubbed me the wrong way.

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 at Thursday, October 11, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment