Cereal: a retrospective  

Posted

Honeynut Cheerios - the standard by which all other cereal should be judged. They are just the right amount of sweet. They are also universally identical. While i respect a cereal that has rasins or clusters, I also appreciate not having to worry about getting too much of one thing in any spoonful. They have the right density and surface area as well. When you get a spoonful, you know it's going to be hearty. I've been eating honeynut cheerios for most of my life, and I have no intention of ever stopping. If i had to guess, i'd say it's been around 33% of all the cereal i've ever eaten. My only complaint is that I often find myelf pressing them against the roof of my mouth and crushing them instead of chewing. This ultimately leads to a very cut up mouth. But, this is more my fault than cheerios.

Frosted Flakes - If Honeynut Cheerios are the meat and potatoes of the breakfast world, Frosted Flakes are the red bull and vodka. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, but afterwards you are disgusted with yourself. I used to be a big FF eater. The best thing about them is that they can be consumed with very little milk. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that they are a "different" meal when you eat them with only a slight amount of milk. The downside of FF is that they become soggy by the end and the milk becomes way too sweet to drink.

Shredded wheat - The big ones w/o sugar....I just don't get. They are disgusting. I like the little ones that are coated in sugar, though. They are a good changeup; often i'll have a box of those open and sneak a bowl into the rotation as i'm going through the normal boxes.

Cocoa puffs - Highly overated. They are a poor man's version of.....

Cocoa Krispies - I haven't had these in awhile. I miss them. It's kind of odd that snap, crackle and pop don't endorse this cereal anymore. I wonder what happened. For awhile, they had a monkey as the spokesman. Now, the commercials focus on the fact that they turn the milk chocolately. That's been my little secret for years. Now that I think about it, I can't recall ever seeing rice krispie treats made from these. You'd think that would be a natural progression.

Special K Vanilla Almond - I had to walk over to the kitchen to get the name of this cereal. I'm a little disturbed by the cover of the box. I don't think i've ever noticed this before. These aren't ph balanced for a woman, are they? I think i'm going to have to take them out of the rotation.

Special K also makes one with rasberries. They are good, but a little intense. I usually mixe it with the Vanilla one when i have both. God, I hope i'm not admitting that a cereal that is ph balanced for a woman is too intense for me.

Honey bunches of Oats - The clusters are great, but actual flakes are very weak. They are too light or something. It feels like I'm taking the holy eucharist when i eat it.

Oatmeal Rasin Crisp - Growing up, i felt like this could have been hugely successful if marketed properly. I used to laugh at the "two scoops of rasins" commercial b/c ORC has a crazy amount of rasins. Seriously, it was out of control. They had mini clusters too to go with it. I remember intentionally eating around the rasins just so i could show people how many rasins were at the bottom of my bowl. I think this was the start of my obssession/cumpulsion when it came to saving the good stuff in cereal to the end. That's a run on sentence, but I'm not going to chance it b/c i know only 2 or 3 people read this blog. Seriously, I'm talking about cereal here...Why are you even reading this?

Other Cheerios - The ones with bananas and strawberries are good but intense (so i mix plain ones in). plain cheerios have no personality. the mixed ones are overated. The yogut covered ones are very overated.

what's the cereal that had the commercial "they're big. oh oh oh, they're not small. oh oh oh." or something like that? Andre the Giant was in a commercial where he scared kids in a tree house. I don't think i liked this cereal.

Cookie Crisp - overated. i kept trying to give them a chance, but couldn't get into them.

The oreos cereal - that was decent.

Applejacks - disgusting.

Wafflecrisp - tasted really good at the beginning, but I'd be tired of them by the first bowl. These were probably the biggest units of ceral ever. One "chunk" was the size of a dozen cheerios.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch - By the end of the box, you have diabietes. wow, did i just spell that correctly? maybe not, but that's close enough to look acceptable. my first attempt had a double e. let's just leave it at that.

Alphabits - I'm not sure if i ever had these.

Captain Crunch - I dont even know that these are. I can picture the mascot, but not the cereal.

Lucky Charms - I still remember the big marketing campaign of adding the purple horseshoe. Did those marshmellows have any flavor?

What's the cereal with the parrot? Tucan sam. what does he sell? Whatever they are, they can't be good. Is he involved with applejacks? God, i can't get over how bad they were.

Count Chocula and Frankenberry. Was there a third one with ghosts? I think so. I also think my cousins used to eat these. I'm not sure if each one of them had a favorite. I peg big z as being a frankenberry man.

Kix with berries - acceptable. but without berries, it was flavorless.

Grapenuts - As disgusting as they were (and my god were they bad!), if they didn't exist, i wouldn't be able to do my ONLY impression: stern doing seinfeld. "they're not grapes, they're not nuts.....what's the deal?"

That's about it for now. The only reason I wanted to write this was because I had a flashback of those old WWF icecream bars that had a cookie outside with the picture of wrestlers on them. That got me really nostolgic for a second, and it made me think of cereals i ate as a kid.

This entry was posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 at Thursday, November 10, 2005 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Anonymous  

Fruity Pebbles?

November 18, 2005 at 3:46 PM

Post a Comment