Albert Einstein, Richard Christy, and Me  

Posted

Richard was recently mocked on the Stern show (what else is new) because he compared himself to Albert Einstein. Einstein was known for having mismatched socks and only owning the same type of sweater. When pressed about it, he said that if thought about things like that, it would leave him with less time to think about other things. Richard related to that in that sometimes he forgets to shower because he's always thinking creatively about the show.

Now, even though I would never forget to shower (just the idea of that makes my skin crawl), I get what they are saying. I'm always lost inside my head thinking about things, and while the topics aren't on the level of E=MC^2 or a phony phone call, they are interesting to me. And I don't like the fact that I have to constantly break my thought process just to adhere to societal norms.

Three times a week, my neighbor is outside her house waiting for a bus that she organizes. She's an extremely nice woman. Unfortunately, on those days that she's out there, I have to stop what I'm thinking about and engage in the most mundane morning conversation with her. Weather related conversation. Yes, I know this is crazy weather. It's called global warming and it's going to be the end of humanity! can I get back to what I was thinking now?

I know I'm a "horrible person" for not wanting to talk to her, but I just wish I lived in a society where my ignoring her wouldn't be perceived as a slight. I wish I could just tell her "listen, I recognize your existence and I assume you are a good person. But I have things going on inside my head that are more important than idle chit chat and I'd like to get back to them". Then, two blocks down, I have to say hello to the woman who works at the laundry mat. She doesn't speak english, and I don't understand spanish, so it's just a smile, head nod, and mouthed "hello". but it's still annoying.

I get some serious thinking done on the train. It's a mini fortress of solitude (sometimes crowds make the best isolation....just ask Gatsby).

And then finally, I walk into work and have to go through a handful of good mornings and hellos. Communication should be left for things that are 1) informative, 2) entertaining, or, in certain circumstances 3) things that help the people involved "bond". Everything else is just empty filler that's preventing me from my very important work.

There was an article in Rolling Stone today that set of an explosion of ideas in my head. We'll see if I get the chance tomorrow morning to organize them in my head and make them coherent enough to share with someone else. I'm guessing not.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 at Thursday, December 27, 2007 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment