my head hurts  

Posted

I read recently that the ancient Egyptians thought that their thoughts came from their hearts and not their brains. In fact, they knew of no good use for the brain and would routinely chuck it out when they were embalming the body (or do they call it mumifying?). Anyway, I was trying to think if, had i not been exposed to the "truth", would I know that the brain is the center of thoughts. On the plus side, when i "think" i feel myself looking inside my head. Not just with my eyes rolling back, but i really envision searching my brain. Similarly, if i think too much, my head hurts. When i need to concentrate, I hold my heat, not grasp at my chest (that's reserved for when i eat a 2 dollar sub).

But, all of this "evidence" is presented with the knowledge that I'm already biased on the issue. As much as Maria thinks it's capable to intentionally unlearn something, I can't see myself being objective enough. I KNOW what the brain does and I can't forget that. So, is this an impossible question to ask? Short of isolating a person on an island for his whole life and then asking him "where" he thinks, I don't know how you can answer this.

It just makes you think about whether it's EVER possible to be objective.

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 at Thursday, December 18, 2003 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment