MIDSEASON REPORT: IS THERE A SILVER LINING? NOPE  

Posted

MIDSEASON REPORT: IS THERE A SILVER LINING? NOPE

[This is the press conference that was held days before Rutgers would leave for West Virginia. Much of the content had to be removed, as this is a family website.]

KF: Before I take questions, I’d like to give an assessment of where I think the team is. When I came back to Rutgers as the Athletic Director, I knew I wasn’t going to immediately enjoy the success that I’ve had in the NFL. Granted, I dominated for years and years in the NFL, taking The Newark Heels to numerous superbowls and even the first undefeated season since the Dolphins. But the college game is different and it’s going to take me time to adjust. Some of these formations are flat out wacky. There little differences that are causing major communication problems with my team. For instance, I was yelling at my QB in the VT game to “delta, delta delta!” In the NFL, delta means for the qb to look downfield again. However, qb#5 thought delta meant to hurdle over and over again and proceeded to do so all the way to a 20 yard sack. I’ve basically had to throw out my NFL playbook and start over. In fact, I liked buffalo’s plays so much that I incorporated them in the next week’s game. It didn’t work at all. And let’s be honest, it’s not like I have a Michael Vick to just give the ball to and let him work his magic. But I think we are moving in the right direction. There was a recent poll of Rutgers students and alumni that asked “Do you think our football program is moving in the right direction?” I was very pleased to learn that 17% said we were moving in the right direction while only 14% said we were getting worse.

Reporter: Coach, if I may interject, what about the other 69% who answered with “we have a football program?”

KF: You know, I’m tired of you reporters always twisting the data to prove your point. Are some (most) Rutgers fans indifferent to our program? Sure. Does it make me feel uncomfortable when our home games are marked by awkward silence? Of course. Do I lay in my bed and cry myself to sleep? No doubt, but that’s for personal reasons, not this football program. This is just the first step in the long process of getting RU up to at least mediocre. Where we go from there is anybody’s guess.

Reporter: Do you think you’ll score another TD this season, or what that one play in the opening game a fluke?

KF: This press conference is over.

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 at Saturday, October 01, 2005 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment